Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Update on my Japanese life...

I feel like I've been learning a lot in Japanese class lately. I think we're at the point where we are learning enough particles and verbs that I could go to Japan and speak to maybe a 2-year-old there. But honestly our conversation would probably be extremely boring. After watching the clip of Death Note in class and having half our class explode with joy, I realized I really should probably check it out. I've always wanted to but never had the time. All my friends always go on and on about how awesome it is, and it's pretty much invaded all of Taiwan (from when I was last there). I guess I'm a little behind.

Learning Katakana has been extremely exciting and rewarding as well. Honestly, I feel an irreplaceable sense of satisfaction when I learn a whole new alphabet (I guess the only precedent of this is Hiragana). However, this makes me feel equipped to read a lot more Japanese text (essentially, double). Plus, I can finally write my names in Japanese (ロバートです). To be honest, I can't wait 'til we learn Kanji, because Mandarin is my second language and I can actually read faster the Kanji in our texts as opposed to the Hiragana and Katakana. Hopefully I'll be able to read them all fast someday. That is all for now. じゃまた!

5 comments:

Q said...

haha I feel the same way. I'm so proud that we learn so much in class but when I try it in front of my Japanese friends, they're like.."nande...-_-" but... neway haha keep up your passion for japanese! (especially in conversations!) Ja matta~

Bryan Turley said...

I'm pretty excited to get to kanji as well, since I'm in my second year of taking Mandarin and I figure it'll help. I'm pretty solid in katakana now as well, and it really is a unique feeling of accomplishment. Here's hoping to our continued success.
Cheers

Bommy Kim said...

はじめましてロバートさん。

Death Note is awesome!

ローラ・リン said...

Yes, please do read/watch Death Note. Here's a great website to watch the death note anime or movie: www.pisoga.com

ジエシカ said...

i think that the beginning of every new chapter is so intense but afterward you feel so accomplished. u guys got to see death note in class? no way!